Glitteryfish the musical: the tunes that define me....
(the early years!)





Someone left a cake out in the rain' by Jimmy Webb
1976 - aged 5, crossing the Severn suspension bridge late at night on a long car journey with Mum & Dad. I remember thinking at the time this song was desperately sad (cake was important issue to a 5 year old) and sobbing my heart out watching the lights twinkling in the water as we drove along.

Just Can't get enough - Depeche Mode
1981 - aged 9.. the first pop song I learnt to play on the piano..I was at boarding school at the time which I hated with a passion.... Respite came in the form of the eye wateringly pungent pickled onion monster munch, heart shaped glittery diddy boppers, ra-ra skirts, bubble writing, furry pencil cases and letters and parcels from my best friend Sharon.
It was about this time that I first knew I wanted to be a singer. In school holidays Sharon and I would record the top 40 on tape (carefully trying to avoid the talking bits) and concoct elaborate dance routines with a 'soft toy' audience. We wrote our first song called 'he always
leaves us' about a negligent widower father that neglects his children by continually working late. I remember the line 'why did our mother have to die when we were only 4' as being particularly poignant!

Uncertain smile - The The
1987 - aged 15... I was introduced to the music of The The by Gemma Proctor in a biology lesson and it was a bit of a revelation. I still find Jools Holland's piano solo on this track absolutely breathtaking.. if ever there was a band that perfectly encaptured teenage anguish, this surely must be it with angst ridden lyrics such as 'how can anyone know me when I don't even know myself'...and 'why can't love touch my heart like fear can'... deep stuff!!
Let the Beat hit 'em - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam

1990 - aged 18 - my final few weeks at home before going off to college - I first heard this track at a big all night party I went to with some friends about a week before i moved to London, the rave scene was just kicking off, summer nights were endless and days were spent picking fruit and getting a tan . Incredibly carefree days heady with expectation.. this track still sends shivers of excitement down my spine even now!
to be continued...